Department store Vroom & Dreesmann
Amsterdam
2016–2019
Department store Vroom & Dreesmann
Amsterdam
2016–2019
Transformation of the former department store Vroom & Dreesmann into offices, retail and restaurant
Address: Rokin/Kalverstraat, Amsterdam
Gross floor area: 11.200 m2
Client: IEF Capital
Architecture: Office Winhov
Team: Uri Gilad, Carlo van Steen, Inez Tan, Rutger van der Meer, Steven Reisinger, Anna Fawdry
Contractor: Van Wijnen Heerhugowaard
Project management: ABC Nova
Building site photos: Wijnanda Duits
Photographer: Stefan Müller
Department store Vroom & Dreesmann
Amsterdam
2016–2019

Since the bankruptcy of Vroom & Dreesmann (V&D) department store in 2016, the complex at the Kalverstraat and Rokin was empty for a long time. The complex consists of a few buildings that have been strongly transformed over the last hundreds of years. The department store of V&D was designed by the classic architect Caron in 1912, and transformed by the Amsterdam School architect Jan Kuijt in the thirties. The second ensemble comprises the eighteenth-century warehouses at the Rokin and the nineteenth-century building of Jacot & Oldewelt on the Kalverstraat, where the restaurant La Place is located. The different buildings were linked together during the time that V&D department store was housed in the complex. As a result, the individual buildings have lost their own character over the years. Office Winhov embraced the rich history of the complex and wants to bring back the original qualities of the buildings but in a contemporary form. 

Department store Vroom & Dreesmann
Amsterdam
2016–2019
View from the Kalverstraat
View from the Rokin
V&D department store after the transformation by Kuijt, around 1930
Kalverstraat, 1911–2004 Kalverstraat, 1911–2004 Kalverstraat, 1911–2004 Kalverstraat, 1911–2004 Kalverstraat, 1911–2004 Kalverstraat, 1911–2004 Kalverstraat, 1911–2004 Kalverstraat, 1911–2004
Kalverstraat, 1911–2004
Image 1/8
Deviding between Jacot and Caron buildings
Transformation of the former corner building by Jacot
The situation before the transformation
Impression by the architect Caron around 1910
Connection between Caron and Kuijt buildings
View over the complex from the Rokin
Construction of the ground floor and basement
The new steel windows according to original details
The reconstructed plinth and canopy
The situation before the transformation
View from the third floor
The main staircase
Reintroduction of the original void and glass roof